Rummy is a card game played with two decks of two cards and two jokers. In Rummy, every player has to make different declaration using the two piles given by picking and discarding the cards. The player cannot see cards from one of the piles while choosing, called a closed pile. The other pile is the open pile which is formed by the cards discarded by the players. The Rummy Card game is about grouping cards into valid sequences and sets.
In Rummy, every card in a suit has rank from low to high Ace, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Jack, Queen, King. The last three cards have 10 points, and the rest have points equal to their face value.
How to form sequences?
A sequence is a set of three or more consecutive cards from the same deck. Rummy comprises of pure sequence and impure sequence. To win the game, an individual must have at least one pure sequence.
A pure sequence consists of three or more consecutive cards of the same suit. There is no joker or wild card in a pure sequence.
- 5 6 7 (This is a pure sequence of three cards without any joker card.)
- 89 10J (This is a pure sequence of four cards without any joker card.)
An impure sequence consists of one or more joker cards and three or more consecutive cards of the same suit.
- 2Q45 (Here, Q works as a wild joker acting as 3 and forming an impure sequence )
- AQ34 PJ (Impure sequence with Q as 2 and Printed Joker is replacing 5)
How to form sets?
A set is a sequence of three or more cards of the same value but different suits. You can use joker and wild cards to form sets.
- AAA (A valid set)
- 5555 (A valid set)
- 999Q (Here Q is a wild joker replacing 9)
- 3 3 3PJ (Here Printed Joker acts as 3)
How to play Rummy card game?
- This game is played among 2 to 6 players with 2 decks of cards. Each player has to deal with 13 cards, and a random card is selected as a wild joker or joker card of the game.
- Every player has to draw and drop cards to make valid sequences and sets of 13 cards in hand.
- The player can use the wild joker or printed joker to make impure sequences or sets.
- As per Indian rules once a player has arranged 13 cards in 2 valid sequences including 1 pure sequence and more sequences or sets the player can announce and win the game.