India suffers from an alarmingly high rate of pregnancy related complications. According to a recent study conducted by the National Health Portal, at least 20% to 30% of all pregnant women fall under the high-risk category accounting for almost 75% of all cases of pre and post-natal illness and mortality.
Thankfully, the number of women suffering from pregnancy complications has reduced by a significant margin in recent years courtesy better awareness and availability of superior healthcare systems. A significant number of would-be mothers are also opting to avail pregnancy insurance policies to ensure against any compromise with the treatment if any such situation arises.
What is a maternity plan?
Maternity health insurance plans are insurance policies that provide financial reimbursements in case the insured individual is faced with complications during pregnancy and childbirth. Premier insurance aggregators also provide financial coverage for any post-birth complications suffered by the mother and the baby, making these types of maternity health insurance plans extremely beneficial to cover a variety of expenses.
Insured individuals can claim reimbursement against a variety of complications, allowing them to seek prompt and highest quality treatment during emergencies. These policies offer several other types of features and benefits as well; let’s take a look at some of them.
- Large sum insured – Most insurance aggregators offer substantial sum insured on pregnancy insurance policies. It ensures adequate financial backing to tackle any unforeseen situation. Moreover, an affordable annual premium allows everyone to avail such insurance plans without straining their budget.
- Extensive coverage – The terms of coverage under top maternity insurance policies extend to provide financial protection against various expenses including –
- Pre and post-hospitalisation expenses.
- Costs incurred during diagnosis of the condition.
- Any expenses incurred while paying for the doctor’s fee before, during, or after hospitalisation.
- Costs of medication purchased before, during, and after hospitalisation is also covered by these insurance policies, along with any medical expenditure witnessed for specific pregnancy complications 15 days before or after hospitalisation.
Pregnancy Complications Cover offered by Bajaj Finserv under their Pocket Insurance & Subscriptions also reimburses the expenses incurred as hospital room rent, transfusion, ICU, and similar charges. This can prove significantly beneficial as it reduces the financial strain on the patient and her family by a significant margin.
Pregnancy insurance plans offered by nearly all insurers also come with certain exceptions which include –
- The insurance plan may not provide financial coverage if the insured individual is hospitalized within a pre-specified number of days from the insurance initiation.
- The insurance coverage may not apply to expenses related to hospitalisation and treatment in case there are no complications.
- The policy will not provide financial coverage for complications or issues not related to pregnancy or not mentioned under the insurance coverage.
It is always advisable to read the terms and conditions of policy coverage before availing it.
Other than that, an insured individual can also avail a hospital cash cover to extend the total financial coverage you can avail with an insurance policy. Such insurance plans offer a high sum insured as well as daily cash disbursement if the beneficiary is undergoing daycare treatment procedure. You can also avail additional financial coverage for expenses incurred due to post-hospitalisation treatment.
Customers can also avail insurance policies like infection cover to mitigate the financial risk of treating common incidents such as Tetanus. Postnatal mothers and babies are susceptible to such illnesses, which require immediate treatment. Make sure you have an insurance policy in place to ensure timely and adequate medical assistance.
Refer to policies which can help you avail the necessary coverage with ease. Consider leading financiers to avail the most beneficial insurance plan or policy at an affordable premium.